Monday, June 29, 2009

The Human Condition

As humans, we all have similar biological identities. We all need to breathe, drink, eat and sleep. We are all born, and we all die. Biologically, in these ways, we are all similar; not only similar as humans, but with all animals. I state the obvious, I know. What separates us is the knowledge that we exist. No other being on the planet knows that they exist, they just do. We are the only ones that realize that we are a being and that we exist, which opens up a whole host of ideas and implications. Again, I state the obvious, and again, I know. This is the broad definition of the human condition. We have the same basic needs that every other creature on the planet has, yet we are aware of those needs and have been finding ways to make our attainment of those needs as fast and easy as possible; and in almost every way, we have achieved. The only thing we haven't figured out is how to breathe more efficiently; don't worry, I'm working on it day and night.
Here's my question. What responsibility as humans do we have to figure out the how and why of life, rather than just the when and where? It seems to me that it should be the most important thing to each and every one of us. But the way I see it all go down, it's really on the back burner. I could spout for pages about how I feel people don't pay attention to what's important, or at least what I deem is important, but I won't. OK, maybe just a few. Global overpopulation, global lack of water, global lack of food, global warming, and global ignorance of all the basic global problems. Globe.
Perhaps it's because I can't possibly know everyone individually, and perhaps it's because I'm hyper judgemental, but it seems to me that 95% of people really don't get it, and more importantly, really don't want to. It's hip to be green. It's hip to drive hybrids and reuse bags. But at the end of the day, my reality tells me that we could run out of water, and somehow, even more disastrous, we could run out of oil. These things actually have nothing to do with anything aside from the fact that I consider them, think about them. It in no way solves, or even helps the problem. I meander for hours on end about topics that make no difference. But at least I'm meandering. It seems that we are surrounded by ignore-ence. Most people are perfectly capable of critical thinking; they simply choose not to, often with the defense that ignoring thought makes them "happier." This is actually my real issue. People would rather ignore than confront the idea of life. They would rather fill every moment of their time with some kind of stimuli to avoid the reality of being alive. It really has nothing to do with the nasty fact that we are running out of everything, which slowly we are; it has to do with the fact that they would rather not think about it, or anything else for that matter. It is futile to wonder when the world will end; but it is not futile to simply wonder, about anything and everything. If you don't want to think about the dismal shit of life, don't. I'm with you, I wish I didn't do it so much. But at least think. I used to be under the impression that everybody asks themselves certain questions, but I'm beginning to think that I may be wrong. So if you haven't yet, here are a few of my favorites:
Who am I?
Why am I here?
What is my purpose, or do I even have one?
What am I doing to improve myself?
Many believe that we are simply evolved animals, and I am inclined to agree with that assessment, but I really don't think it matters. That does not give us an excuse for our ignore-ent behavior, in fact it condemns it even further. We are the only animal that has the capability to assess what we are. So assess it. This life is a crazy thing, no other way to describe it. So consider it as such and take proper action. I am going to pretend for a moment that more people will read this aside from the followers and contributors to this blog, which at the time is just two (Pat, John, get on it), but the truth is that is probably the case. So when I talk to you dudes later, you can tell me what a self righteous asshole I am. This rant, this rave is just that... but that doesn't bother me, or at least I'll pretend it doesn't. Until next time...
-james

No comments:

Post a Comment